Work in progress

24 01 2014

Here is the next project I’m working on.


You can see in the background a squad of Tox Troopers from Anvil Industries. I often undercoat several projects in one go.

Just picked up a GW brush to block in some colour. Absolute shite. I’d picked a few up at the Artisan’s workshop a while back. At the time they had to give me a non GW detail brush because I complained so much about the quality. Still it’ll do for glue or something.


One down, how many to go?

23 01 2014


Here is the first unit finished in Austria. A unit of Halflings, made by Battleforge, for my Albion army. The sculpting isn’t amazing, but they are so full of character and fun that I’d rather have these than a unit of dull but amazingly sculpted figures.

I had a lot of angst about finishing this unit. I had started painting them before I left Blighty and I had promised myself that when I got my stuff this was to be the first unit I’d paint. When I unpacked them I did a double take. The quality of the painting was so much higher than I thought I could do. Could I match it? I wasn’t sure and spent a while prevaricating before sitting down and starting.

The end result is good, but still not up to the standard I set.

I used a couple of new techniques that I have mentioned previously.

Microplaned sponge, I’m fairly pleased with the result, though you have to make sure that the particles are really fine.

Tester pots for the basing, this works well and I am pleased with the result.

I have started cataloguing and photographing, more work needed on the model photography. When the website is live I’ll post the address.Image

So here is unit WHFB/A/1/numbers 1 to 30.

Making a Wet Palette. Part One

10 01 2014

This is very much a work in progress and some revisions may have to be made.
The Tabletop Minions video blog inspired me to start this project.

Here you can see I have assembled all the components I’ll be using

Here are the bits I need for this project

Here are the bits I need for this project

First off is an airtight food container, sourced from Morrisons. It’s not huge, about 12cm by 9cm.
A piece of card cut to the dimensions inside the the container. This is used as a template for cutting.
Scalpel, spare blades, steel rule and a cutting mat. The cutting mat is essential if you wish to maintain cordial relations with your nearest and dearest.
A short length of speaker cable, donated by my local electronics store.
One roll of baking paper. I don’t know if this is the right stuff or whether I need baking parchment. I’ll report back.
A pack of sponge cloths. Again I’m not sure if they’ll work.
I neglected to add a schilling coin which I use to cut around the corners of the sponge and paper.

Stripping copper wire

Stripping copper wire

The first thing I did was to strip out the copper wires from the speaker cable. I recently read a post on Frothers Unite where a member had sourced some parts to make some wet palettes. He had put some copper wire in them to dissuade mildew from growing.
Quick question? Where do people store their wet palettes? In the fridge? Obviously nowhere warm which would dry the paint and be a hothouse for the growth of any fungal nastiness.
He also mentioned that his containers were fairly shallow so that was no annoying reach down into a sandwich box.
“Ah Ha!” Thought I, this is why I have several layers of sponge cloth built up so the painting surface is almost level with the lip of the box.

Marking the sponge cloth for cutting

Marking the sponge cloth for cutting

Next, using the template, mark out where to cut the sponge. A good idea is to align the template to as many edges as you can. Thus avoiding any unnecessary cutting and ensuring that at least one corner is exactly square. Really I should have aligned the second set of cut marks to the left hand side of the sponge. It would have only been one more cut more.

Cutting the corners

Cutting the corners

Then using the schilling cut round the corner of the sponge. The advantage to having layers (six in my case) is that you can achieve a much neater edge rather than the sort of hacked about look that thick sponge gets.
Now wash the sponges out. There is something on them that makes them feel weird.

Copper wire

Copper wire

Strands of copper wire are laid between the layers of sponge.

Cutting the baking paper

Cutting the baking paper

Now to cut the palette surface, the baking paper.
See how I have drawn a template on my cutting mat? The mat has right angles printed on it. In under an hour you can cut up enough paper and trim the corners for a years worth of painting.
Find an envelope for the spare sheets and write down where you’ve stored them.

I put my money where my mouth is

8 01 2014
Paint samples

Paint samples

I went to Bauhaus and bought two sample pots of emulsion. The equivalent of 14 pots of GW paint for just over four Euro.

So far I’m happy with the result. Pictures to be posted when unit is completed.


Olleys Armies Blog

Olleys Armies Miniatures Blog, News and Workbench

Onyx's Hobby Blog

Just a little bit about my hobby activities.

amateur airplanes

Let's build.


a maker, a teacher of making

one page rules

Wargaming made simple and fun!

Words on a blackboard

In a world of poems, words steal love and put it on a blackboard

The Grey Mountains

The adventures of my Greenskins, Dwarfs, and Bretonnians

A game designer's view of gaming


I play for fun... all else I take seriously

Da Mekshop

Collecting and Playing Orks

Herr Brush

A Hobby Blog

Dropship Studio

The incoherent ramblings of wargamer and painter Carl Woodrow


Turning Over a New Leaf

The Lost and the Damned

Fantasy, sci-fi and historical miniature gaming

Dagger and Brush, Daggerandbrush, dagger brush

Miniature painting, wargaming terrain tutorials, reviews, interviews and painting guides


Gaming Banter

D6 Painting & Gaming

Miniature painting and gaming from under the stairs